• 4 min de lectura
• 4 min de lectura

The Panama Canal is cutting daily transit capacity and overhauling its auction system as below-expected rainfall puts renewed pressure on the waterway's freshwater supplies, just months after officials said they expected to maintain normal operations through the end of the year.
The Panama Canal Authority announced Thursday that daily Neopanamax capacity will be reduced to nine slots beginning September 3, while Panamax capacity will be set at 25 slots. Panamax availability will tighten further to 23 daily slots beginning September 15.
The move marks a notable shift for the canal, which earlier this year had maintained that it expected to avoid transit restrictions despite the development of a strong El Niño.
Despite the arrival of Panama's rainy season, precipitation across the canal watershed has fallen short of expectations, prompting officials to take additional steps to preserve water and support longer-term transit operations.
The canal warned that fewer daily transits could increase waiting times for vessels arriving without reservations and urged operators to use its booking system, noting that a confirmed reservation is the only way to guarantee a transit date.
At the same time, improving near-term water conditions have allowed the canal to delay previously announced draft restrictions.
A reduction in the maximum authorized Neopanamax draft to 48.0 feet, previously scheduled for August 26, has been postponed until September 2. A further reduction to 47.5 feet, originally planned for September 3, has been pushed back nearly a month to October 1.
As recently as April, Canal officials were offering a far more optimistic assessment of the water outlook, saying they expected to maintain normal operations through the end of the year.
"We don't anticipate anything significant between now and December, but we continue to monitor the situation closely. We want to keep the lakes as high as possible heading into the next dry season, so we can continue delivering a high-quality service," Espino de Marotta said.
The canal is also temporarily restructuring the allocation of daily auction slots in an effort to spread capacity more evenly among shipping sectors.
Beginning September 3, auction participants will be divided into four groups: LNG and LPG carriers; dry bulk, general cargo and other vessels; containerships, vehicle carriers and reefers; and chemical, crude and product tankers.
Customers that already hold a reservation for the same transit date through the canal's Long-Term Slot Allocation, NetZero or other allocation programs generally will not be eligible for an additional slot unless there are no competing bidders.
For Neopanamax transits, full containerships with the highest TEU capacity will receive priority during allocation, with the canal's Customer Ranking used as a tiebreaker.
The changes come as competition for Panama Canal capacity has intensified amid disruptions elsewhere in global shipping.
During the first half of fiscal 2026, the canal handled 6,288 transits, up 224 from the previous year, while cargo volumes increased roughly 5% to 254 million PC/UMS tons. Average daily traffic reached 37 vessels in March, with some peak days exceeding 40 transits.
Competition has been particularly visible in the canal's auction system. Earlier this year, officials said average last-minute auction prices had jumped from roughly $135,000-$140,000 before the Middle East conflict to around $385,000 during March and April, with some bids topping $1 million.
More recently, the price of securing passage has climbed dramatically higher. On August 14, the gas carrier G. Arete reportedly paid a record $4.6 million for a Neopanamax auction slot.
The latest measures bring water availability back to the forefront after Panama spent much of the past two years rebuilding resilience following the historic 2023-24 drought.
Earlier this summer, the canal progressively lowered its maximum Neopanamax draft from 49.5 feet to 49 feet and then 48.5 feet as Gatun Lake levels declined. At the time, officials said the draft reductions would not affect daily transit capacity.
That has now changed as rainfall continues to disappoint.
The canal has introduced several water-saving measures since the previous drought, including greater use of the Neopanamax locks' water-saving basins, simultaneous lockages for smaller vessels, interior lock gates and reduced hydroelectric generation at Gatun Dam.
The measures are increasingly important as a strengthening El Niño raises the risk of another prolonged dry period. NOAA's Climate Prediction Center said in July there was an 81% chance the event would reach "very strong" status during October through December and a 97% chance it would persist into early spring 2027.
The canal said it will continue monitoring rainfall, watershed inflows and lake levels and could make further operational adjustments as conditions evolve.

